The death toll because of the explosion of a car bomb in Turkey is now at 17 according to the latest report from the office of the provincial governor. Apart from this, 27 others, including 11 soldiers have also been wounded. Turkey suspects the blast was caused by militants who are a part of the Kurdistan Workers Party.
Amid the increasing violence in their region, the Turkish military said that 38 ISIS militants had been killed in clashes with the rebels in Syria who were supported by the coalition’s air strikes in the north of the country.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has said rebels were making considerable advances into Dabiq, the ISIS stronghold with help from Turkish air strikes and tanks. But, there was a clash on Friday night which as a result of which Islamist retook a number of villages in the area.
But, in a statement, the Turkish army issued they said 14 ISI fighters had been killed while trying to retake Turkmen Bareh and Akhtarin, rebel-controlled villages which are within two miles of Dabiq.
Ankara is backing the rebels who are fighting the regime of President Bashar Assad so that they can target ISIS and the Kurdish militants on the Turkish border. As part of this operation, called Euphrates Shield, Turkey is deploying warplanes and tanks in order to aid the rebels too.
The army also said that 17 militants were killed during air strikes by the warplanes and seven more were killed during airstrikes on Sunday. This brings the total kill count to 38. There are also five buildings which have been destroyed during these strikes.
Turkey’s efforts to control activities of the Kurdish militants and ISIS hasn’t achieved the desired results, though. On Sunday, nine soldiers had been killed, and more than 20 were injured because of a car bomb explosion which happened near a police station in the southeastern part of Turkey.