Thirteen people have died and dozens were injured after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas, popular with tourists, police and local officials say.
The vehicle sped along the pedestrian area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover.
Police are treating it as a terrorist attack.
The head of the Catalan region said two people had been arrested.
Spanish media are reporting another suspect died in a shootout. El Mundo newspaper said the shootout happened in Sant Just Lesvern, on the outskirts of the city.
Update from here.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, which took place on Thursday afternoon when a large white Fiat van veered off the road at the top of La Rambla into a crowd of unsuspecting people. Within an hour, Spanish police confirmed they were treating it as a terrorist attack.