Blayne Lastman decides he will not be a candidate for Toronto mayor

in Canada by

WARNING: ⚠️ DEBATE POST is shutting down very soon thanks to Facebook and Twitter banning us along with our 400,000 followers, you can follow on alternatives like frontpagelink.com where the radical left doesn't moderate content. 

TORONTO — Blayne Lastman, the son of former Toronto mayor Mel Lastman, says he will not be a candidate for mayor in the Oct. 22 municipal election

He was expected to make an announcement this morning that he would run, but in a statement early today, said he decided not to run after “careful consideration and consultation” with his family.

Lastman said the last week “has been an emotional roller coaster” and while he is overwhelmed by the support he has received, his decision not to run is in the best interest of his family, business and the city.

Best known for running the Bad Boy furniture and appliance empire his father started in 1955, Lastman was expected to make his announcement today at Toronto City Hall, a day before the deadline to run for the election.

His father served as mayor of North York, Ont., for more than 20 years before becoming the first mayor of the amalgamated city of Toronto in 1998.

Lastman said in his statement that he will now offer his full support to current Mayor John Tory.

“The mayor’s job is not one that can be taken lightly,” he said.

“Our city faces many concerns including crime and gridlock. I am well aware of the commitment that John Tory has made to the city and I offer him my full support.”

In the elder Lastman’s post-mayoral days, he could be seen in Bad Boy commercials alongside Blayne, who re-launched the chain in 1991, shouting its notorious slogan with an “OK” sign and an exaggerated wink: “Who’s better than Bad Boy? Noooooobody!”

So far 21 candidates have entered the mayoral race, including Tory.

The Canadian Press