- There are 1,542 billionaires in the world, according to a new UBS study.
- Over 560 billionaires live in the United States – more than in any other country – and they control the most wealth.
- If the current trend continues, the total fortunes of Asian billionaires could reverse that of American billionaires within four years.
The number of zeros in your bank account is a status symbol, and Americans have a right to brag about it.
According to a new study by the Swiss bank UBS, the United States has more billionaires than any country in the world.
But China and India are catching up with them. And quick.
Three-quarters of the new billionaires in 2016 are from China and India, according to UBS. These countries have 67 and 16 more billionaires respectively.
If the trend continues, it will take just four years for the total wealth of Asian billionaires to exceed that of Americans, according to UBS.
But for now, the United States has the largest concentration of billionaires in the world. A total of 563 US billionaires control $ 2.8 trillion, up from $ 2.4 trillion last year.
Here are the 14 countries with the most billionaires, and their number by country:
14. Singapore: 21 billionaires
13. Spain: 25 billionaires
12. Turkey: 29 billionaires
11. Japan: 33 billionaires
10. Switzerland: 35 billionaires
9. France: 39 billionaires
8. Italy: 42 billionaires
7. United Kingdom: 55 billionaires
6. Hong Kong: 69 billionaires
5. Russia: 96 billionaires
4. India: 100 billionaires
3. Germany: 117 billionaires
2. China: 318 billionaires
1. United States: 563 billionaires
Version originale: Tanza Loudenback/Business Insider