August 1, 2021

Jeff Bezos, Tim Cook, Elon Musk … this is what the 12 most famous bosses on the planet looked like when they were young

Sometimes it’s hard to imagine what today’s leaders were like when they were younger, and before they made their careers. We’ve found photos of famous business leaders, to give you a taste of their old-fashioned look. Tesla founder Elon Musk once tried to live on a dollar a day by forcing himself to eat only hot dogs and oranges, to see if he could handle the life of an entrepreneur. Twitter founder Jack Dorsey was fascinated by emergency vehicles as a child. Here’s what today’s famous leaders looked like when they were younger:

Jeff Bezos, DG d’Amazon

Reuters

Young Jeff Bezos

Screenshot / Bio

When Jeff Bezos was 16 in 1980, he was grilling burgers in the summer at McDonald’s. It was his first “commercial” experience, according to Wired. He spent the summer “exploring possibilities for improvement” to automate the business, such as beeps and beeps that tell “when the scrambled eggs are ready, when to turn the steaks, and when. remove the fries from the oil “.

Source: Wired

Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook

REUTERS/Albert Gea

Young Mark Zuckerberg

TechCrunch

Mark Zuckerberg started Faceook at just 19, when he was in his second year at Harvard University, and demonstrated his web tech skills from an early age.
At 12, he created his first network, ZuckNet, through which his father’s messages and records could be exchanged between home and his dental practice, according to the New Yorker.

Source: The New Yorker

Tim Cook, DG d’Apple

AP

Young Tim Cook

with

Tim Cook once complained about his chemistry teacher, claiming he was “lazy”, reports his hometown newspaper The Mobile Press-Register. Tim Cook and Teresa Prochaska Huntsman, both top students in their class in 1978, went to their high school pedagogical advisor to be placed in a higher class because they felt they were not “learning enough”, according to the newspaper.

Source: Mobile Press-Register

Elon Musk, DG de Tesla

Lucy Nicholson/Reuters

Young Elon Musk

YouTube, Bloomberg News

Younger, Elon Musk decided to try the experience of living on just a dollar a day by eating only hot dogs and oranges, he told astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson in an episode of the podcast. of it on StarTalk radio. Not because of financial difficulties, nor out of charity, but because he wanted to know if he had the capacity to lead the life of an entrepreneur.

Source: StarTalk

Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, and Larry Page, co-founder of Google and CEO of Alphabet

Young Sergey Brin and Larry Page

Young Sergey Brin and Larry Page

RANDI LYNN BEACH / AP Images

Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin didn’t like each other at all when they first met. Larry Page met Sergey Brin during a visit to Stanford University in 1995, which he was considering joining to pursue a doctorate in computer science. Sergey Brin was a volunteer guide for first graders at that time.

“Sergey is a sociable person, he likes meeting people,” Page told Wired in 2005. “I found him quite insufferable. He had very strong opinions on things, and I guess I did too. “

“Some say they didn’t agree on just about everything at that first meeting, but the following year they entered into a partnership,” Google wrote on its site.

Source: site de Google, Wired

Ginni Rometty, PDG d’IBM

Mike Blake/Reuters

Young Ginni Rometty

IBM

Ginni Rometty had a difficult childhood. Her father left the family home when she was little. The eldest of four children, she had to take on the role of matriarch often in place of her mother who worked late.

“I learned from my mom that you should never let anyone define you,” she told CNBC in 2017. “My mom, without even a single degree, went back to school and demonstrated to us that each of us could have a chance. ” She says she applied this life lesson to her company to make IBM stand out in a competitive world, and always keep up with new trends in tech. “

Source: CNBC

Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase

Business Insider

Young Jamie Dimon

AP

Jamie Dimon’s siblings describe him as someone extremely self-assured and who knows what he wants. His entrepreneurial spirit came to him very early on, as he was selling thank you cards from the age of six, according to MoneyInc.

Source: MoneyInc

Satya Nadella, DG de Microsoft

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

Young Satya Nadella

Youtube Screenshot

Satya Nadella had been at Microsoft for about a year when he pitched her idea to use Excel with Microsoft Visual Basic to developers to create new applications for the Windows NT operating system at Devcast, a television program hosted by Microsoft. .

Source: Business Insider

Jack Dorsey, DG de Twitter

AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

Young Jack Dorsey

joi / flickr

Jack Dorsey was obsessed with dispatching emergency vehicles as a child. He once told CBS’s “60 Minutes” program that he was fascinated by the voices heard on police frequencies. “They were always talking about where they needed to go, what they were doing, where they were, and that’s how I got the idea for Twitter,” said Jack Dorsey.

Brian Moynihan, DG de Bank of America

REUTERS/Robert Galbraith

Young Brian Moynihan

Marietta High School

Brian Moynihan tried his hand at American football in his freshman year at Brown University, before switching to rugby. He says his leadership on the ground transferred to Bank Of America in an interview with the Brown Daily Herald, a student magazine at Brown University.

“The lessons leadership teaches you apply to other areas – when you motivate people, when you try to get people to go above and beyond.”
“You can only win in rugby by playing as a team. Every player has to have the ball, every person has to attack, every person has to pass the ball, you have to play as a team.”

Source: The Brown Daily Herald

Sheryl Sandberg, Head of Operations at Facebook

Greg Sandoval/Business Insider

Young Sheryl Sandberg

60 Minutes/YouTube

At Harvard, Sheryl Sandberg created a group called “Women in Economics and Government”. This group encouraged women to pursue careers that were typically “masculine” at the time, in governance and economics for example, according to The New Yorker.

Source: The New Yorker

Jack Ma, Alibaba Co-Founder and Executive Chairman

Andrew Burton/Getty Images

Young Jack Ma

YouTube

Jack Ma grew up in poverty in Communist China, failed his college entrance exam twice, and was denied a dozen jobs, including one for fast food chain KFC .

He had no computer or coding experience, but was fascinated by the internet when he first used the world wide web on a trip to the United States in 1995. Jack Ma’s first online research was “beer”. The founder of Alibaba was surprised to find no Chinese beer brands in the results. That’s how he decided to start an online company, especially for China.

Source: Business Insider

Version originale : Market Insider/Ethel Jiang