On 1985, the first part of the film saga Return to the future came into our lives to mark a before and after. The initial installment of the trilogy – which was completed last year 35 years– changed the way of conceiving travels in the time; and the elements that Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale introduced in that history are more relevant than ever.
From the classic car DeLorean even the nostalgic obsession to get 1.21 GW that allow us to travel in time; Return to the future marked the lives of entire generations. And it continues to do so even with the children and grandchildren of those who enjoyed this trilogy at the time of its premiere.
When the 35 years since the premiere in 2020, different unpublished materials about the production in which he also participated Steven Spielberg as a producer. Collection editions with unreleased scenes; Auditions with protagonists who were not confirmed and complementary scenes that became true treasures.
However, the most recent find allows us to conclude on something fundamental: the history it could have been another totally different if the filmmakers leaned towards one of the 43 other actors they had thought of for the role of Doc Emmett Brown, before the unforgettable Christopher Lloyd was confirmed on paper (thankfully).
The list of actors who were left out of the role of Doc
The one with Crazy scientific who created the flux capacitor -And that allowed turning the car into a time machine- was not the only role that had another actor in mind, according to the criteria of the filmmakers. Return to the future.
In fact, before confirming to Michael J. Fox for the role of Marty McFly, Zemeckis and Gale they had the actor on the agenda Eric Soltz (Pulp Fiction). Fox was always preferred, but then-young Michael J. had no time availability; so they auditioned with the aforementioned Soltz. Fortunately, Fox managed to accommodate his schedule and was able to play the young man.
For the role of Doc Emmett Brown, Zemeckis had other names in mind. To be precise, 43 more names (in addition to Lloyd’s, who was ultimately chosen). A few weeks ago, the tweeter Will McCrabb (@mccrabb_will) shared a Photography with the names of all the actors they had thought of for him scientist’s role.
Dated August 21, 1984, 31 of those names are listed crossed out with pen. And among them stand out prominent names such as Donald Sutherland, Robin Williams, Mickey Rourke and the always fun Gene Wilder (the first Willy Wonka from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Chevy Chase y Steve Martin; synonyms of comedies.
They also stand out – among the crossed out– names like those of Danny De Vito, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy y Michael Keaton.
Meanwhile, among those listed as “Available” (and they do not have a stud); in addition to Chris Lloyd -Who was finally chosen-, stand out Jeff Goldblum, Gene Hackman, James Wood y Randy Quaid; among others.
The full list of actors Doc Brown was thought of in Return to the future:
- Jeff Goldblum.
- John Lithgow (struck out).
- Joe Piscopo.
- Peter Boyle (crossed out).
- Donald Sutherland (crossed out).
- Dabney Coleman (crossed out).
- Richard Mulligan (crossed out).
- Ron Silver.
- John Heard (crossed out).
- Robin Williams (crossed out).
- John Cleese.
- Tom Conti.
- Mandy Patinkin (crossed out).
- Treat Williams (tachado).
- Mickey Rourke (crossed out).
- Gene Hackman.
- Alan Arkin (crossed out).
- David Dukes.
- Charles Grodin (crossed out).
- Gene Wilder (crossed out).
- Rene Auberjonois (crossed out).
- Harold Ramis.
- Paul Le Mat (crossed out).
- Albert Brooks (crossed out).
- Chevy Chase (crossed out).
- Stever Martin (crossed out).
- Mark Blankfield (crossed out).
- Robert Klein.
- James Woods.
- Chris Lloyd.
- Danny De Vito (crossed out).
- Bob Balaban (crossed out).
- Kevin Conway (crossed out).
- Paul Dooley (crossed out).
- John Candy (crossed out).
- Henry Winkler (tachado).
- Eddie Murphy (crossed out).
- Bill Cosby (crossed out).
- Joe Bologna (crossed out).
- Cliff Gorman (crossed out).
- Randy Quaid.
- Michael Keaton (crossed out).
- Charlie Martin Smith (tachado).
- Gerrith Graham.
Many Thanks To The following Website For This Valuable Content.
From Danny De Vito to Robin Williams: list of actors who could be the Doc in Back to the Future