The perpetrators from Würzburg are said to have picked up the knife in the event of a dispute
After the knife attack in Würzburg, the investigation continues. The authorities announced details at a press conference. The perpetrator is said to have been noticed several times with psychological problems. A memorial service for the victims is to take place on Sunday afternoon.
Dhe attacker from Würzburg has been noticed several times in the past with psychological problems. This was announced by the Bamberg Attorney General Wolfgang Gründler during a press conference on Saturday. In January, for example, the man got into an argument with roommates and administrators of the homeless shelter in which he lived. He threatened her with a kitchen knife, but did not attack her. He was therefore investigated for threats and insults. In addition, he was temporarily admitted to a psychiatric institution.
By March 2021, a note from another resident had also been checked, according to which the man said on the phone in late 2015 or early 2016 that he had committed crimes in Somalia as a twelve-year-old. The test was discontinued because the claim could not be verified.
In June 2021, the Somali finally stood in front of a car in Würzburg and forced it to stop. He got in on the passenger side. After this incident, he was again admitted to a psychiatric institution, but was released after a day. The doctors had come to the conclusion that there was “no danger to others or to oneself”. The man did not become violent in any of the incidents.
Perpetrator went to the housewares department
In the homeless shelter, investigators have now found messages of hate. That said the chief criminal director Armin Kühnert. The material has been secured but not yet evaluated. Messages on a discovered cell phone still have to be investigated, which takes some time because of the foreign language used.
Apparently indiscriminately, the man had attacked people in Würzburg late on Friday afternoon. According to investigators, he entered a department store at 5pm and went to the housewares department. There he asked a saleswoman about the knives and took one out of the display. He stabbed a saleswoman who died of her injuries on site. The perpetrator then went through the department store and killed two other people.
Two minutes after the emergency call was received, the first police officers were at Barbarossaplatz. At this time, the perpetrator had already been driven into an alley by passers-by. There the police stopped the man with a targeted shot in the thigh and arrested him. He is now in custody.
According to police chief Gerhard Kallert, the department store detective heard the man shout “Allahu Akbar” during the crime. The phrases “Allahu Akbar” and “Jihad” were also used against officials. “We have to evaluate everything else now.” The cell phone evaluations are particularly important.
Six people were seriously injured in the attack and one was slightly injured. Two people have since left the hospital. According to the police, the life of a seriously injured person was still acute on Saturday afternoon.
“This stereotyped thinking must come to an end”
On Sunday afternoon there is to be a memorial service for the victims in the city’s Kilians Cathedral. In addition to the Catholic Würzburg Bishop Franz Jung, representatives of other religions and the public also want to take part, as announced by Mayor Christian Schuchardt (CDU). The President of the Central Council of Jews, Josef Schuster, the Protestant regional bishop Gisela Bornowski and representatives of the Muslim communities are expected at the celebration.
“The crimes of individuals can never be traced back to population groups, religions or nationalities,” warned Mayor Schuchardt in an open letter to the Würzburg family. “Even we Germans were not condemned across the board after the Second World War. Neither does this now apply to Somalis or refugees in general. This stereotyped thinking must come to an end. “