August 5, 2021

Hispanic father writes emotional letter to victim

  • A Hispanic father wrote an emotional letter to his son who died in the collapse of the Miami building
  • Most of the fatalities in the collapse were of Hispanic origin
  • Rescuers said they can still find survivors in the building’s rubble.

Miami-Dade Police released the names of eight of the nine people killed in the partial collapse of an apartment building in the coastal city of Surfside, the debris of which rescue teams are still searching for more than 150 missing, it said. the Efe agency.

One of the deceased was Luis Bermúdez, 26, a native of Puerto Rico, the young man lived with his mother Ana Ortiz. Faced with the fateful news of the Puerto Rican’s death, his father, Luis Bermúdez, wrote a moving letter for his son and posted it on his Facebook page.

Hispanic writes emotional letter to son who died in Miami landslide

Photo: Facebook

“Daddy God decided he wanted one more angel in heaven. I still do not believe it. I love you and I will love you forever. You are and will be the best in my life. Now he rests in peace and unimpeded in the kingdom of God, ”wrote the victim’s father.

The Hispanic accompanied the letter with a photograph where he comes out hugging his son while both smiled. “I will see you soon my Luiyo, my angel, my everything, you are and will be all my life in my soul, mind and heart. Luiyo, fly high my king! ”, Concluded the Hispanic.

Hispana had heard cracking sounds the night before the collapse

COLLAPSE MIAMI
Photo: AP

According to CNN, Pablo Rodríguez, the son of one of those who disappeared after the collapse in Miami, told the news channel that his mother had heard creaking in the foundations of the building the night before the collapse. Rodriguez told the reviewed media that they have not heard from his mother or grandmother, since both lived together on the side of the building that collapsed.

“It was like a passing comment, like that’s why he woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep afterward. Now, in hindsight, one always wonders, “said the Hispanic who assured that they are losing hope of finding them alive. “We are not exactly hopeful, you always have hope until you know definitively (what happened), but after seeing the video of the collapse it is increasingly difficult, because they were in that section that sank,” he said.

Most fatalities were of Hispanic origin

majority of victims of Hispanic origin
AP Photo

Most of the names of the fatalities in the tragedy that occurred in Champlain Towers on the morning of June 24 are Hispanic. The first to be identified was Stacie Dawn Fang, a 54-year-old business executive who, according to NBC 6, was buried in New Jersey this weekend.

Dawn Fang’s son, Jonah Handler, 15, was pulled alive from the wreckage of the building on the same day as the collapse and is recovering from his injuries at a hospital. Later, Antonio and Gladys Lozano were identified, a married couple of Cuban origin aged 83 and 79, who, according to their relatives, feared being separated by death. They would have been married for 59 years in July, according to their son, Sergio Lozano, who lives near Champlain Towers and dined with his parents a few hours before the collapse.

Venezuelans among the victims after the collapse of Miami

Venezuelans among the victims
Photo: AP.

Another identified victim is Manuel LaFont, a 54-year-old separated man from Houston (Texas) who liked to play basketball with his son in a nearby park and had traveled many years through Latin America as a representative of an American firm.

On Sunday Leon Oliwkowicz, 80, Luis Bermúdez, 26, Ana Ortiz, 46, and Christina Beatriz Elvira, 74, were identified. Leon Oliwkowicz and Christina Beatriz Elvira were a Venezuelan couple, according to journalist Shirley Varnagy, a friend of the family.

So far there are 152 missing

152 MISSING
Photo: AP

The mayor of Miami-Dade, Daniella Levine Cava, recommended to all the people who miss a relative who is a resident or temporarily housed in the Champlain Towers building on the day of the collapse to go to the police station to report their disappearance and leave take DNA samples to facilitate identification. Until this Sunday, nine people had died as a result of the collapse and there were 152 missing and 134 people located.

For reasons not yet determined, the northeast wing of the Champlain Towers building, inaugurated in 1981 and with a total of 136 apartments, collapsed in seconds at 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, June 24, when its inhabitants were sleeping. A few hours later the first fatality was confirmed, a person who was pulled alive from the rubble and died in hospital.

Human remains to be identified

HUMAN REMAINS TO IDENTIFY AFTER MIAMI COLLAPSE
Photo: AP

The search for survivors who take turns carrying out a hundred rescuers in the mountain of rubble that the 55 collapsed apartments were converted will continue, said Levine Cava, and the numbers will continue to change in a “fluid” way. In addition to bodies, rescuers have found human remains that forensics are trying to identify.

This Sunday the relatives of the confirmed victims and the missing persons had the opportunity to visit the place where rescuers work and pray for them and their loved ones. The damaged building and its surroundings are cordoned off by the police and only rescuers and other people with tasks at “ground zero” are allowed to pass.

Rescuers in Miami detect holes

RESCUERS DETECT HOLES
Photo: AP

Rescuers frantically scrabbling Monday for the fifth day say they can still find survivors in the rubble of a residential building in Florida, a hope relatives cling to, though no one has been found alive since the structure collapsed Thursday. .

Relatives of the victims arrived by buses to a site close enough to observe the intense rescue effort, which includes firefighters, dogs, radars and sonars, The Associated Press reported.

Rescuers do not lose hope

HUMAN REMAINS TO IDENTIFY AFTER MIAMI COLLAPSE
Photo: AP

On Monday morning, a crane lifted a huge chunk of concrete from the rubble mountain, allowing about 30 helmeted rescuers to enter and scoop out smaller pieces of rubble in red buckets, which were emptied into a larger container for storage. a crane will take it away. The work has been complicated, but at least the fires that complicated the initial search were extinguished.

Andy Alvarez, deputy incident commander for the Miami-Dade Fire Department, said Monday on ABC’s “Good Morning America” that rescuers have managed to find some gaps in the debris, mostly in the basement and parking areas. .

More than 80 rescuers

MORE THAN 80 RESCUERS
Photo: AP

“We have more than 80 rescuers at the same time that they are breaking through the walls that collapsed, in a frantic effort to try to rescue those who are still viable and to be able to reach those holes that we know usually exist in these buildings,” said Alvarez.

“We have been able to tunnel through the building,” he added. “This is a frantic search to find that hope, that miracle, to see who we can get out of this building alive.”

Relatives are still waiting for good news

Relatives are still waiting for good news
Photo: AP

Israeli Diaspora Affairs Minister Nachman Shai, who is in charge of an Israeli humanitarian delegation that includes various search and rescue experts, said professionals have told him of cases where survivors are found after 100 hours or more.

“So don’t lose hope, that’s what I would say,” Shai said. Alvarez also said rescuers, like families, are still waiting for good news. “You have to have hope and faith,” he commented.