TRIBUTE has been paid to a couple killed in a horrific house fire with their pet dog.
Paul Cox, 51, and Jennifer Jones, 40, died in the flames at their home near Nottingham, alongside their Jack Russell named Scoobie.
The fire engulfed their two-storey terraced house in Sneinton in the early hours of March 26.
Police today confirmed it was a tragic accident, possibly caused by an electrical fault.
Neighbors raised the alarm after being woken by a loud bang as the fire ripped through the Victorian property at 12.43am.
Firefighters fought for almost two hours to put out the inferno before the bodies of Paul, Jennifer and Scoobie were found inside.
Friends of the couple said Paul had returned from the pub hours before the fire.
Paying tribute to the carpenter, a local said: “Paul was a lovely guy and Jennifer was always in a good mood too. »
They added: “From what people here are saying it was an electrical fault, maybe a toaster or something.
“They had probably gone to the pub, come home and had a snack, but the fire started after they collapsed in bed.
“The speed of fire was frightening, it just tore the property apart.
“People who saw the bodies come out say they were badly burned. »
Others also honored ‘grafter’ Paul, who ‘lived for his dog’ and had lived in the Victorian home for 15 years.
It is understood the couple reunited in 2021, with Jennifer declaring on Facebook in November last year that she was “the happiest I’ve been in decades”.
Sharon Jones, believed to be Jennifer’s mother, replied: “I love you honey. Make the rest of your life the best ever, you deserve it.
“Thank you for making her feel loved Paul. »
‘A CHARMING BOY’
A neighbour, who declined to be named, said: “He was a freelance, hard-grafted carpenter.
“He had no children but lived for his Jack Russell Scoobie who accompanied him everywhere.
“He lived this little dog and we always saw them outside together.
“Paul recently had a new girlfriend who was hanging around but I didn’t know her, just to say ‘hello’.
” It’s tragic. He was a good guy and we’re sorry he died so horribly.
“The fire was totally out of control and these two poor people and the dog didn’t stand a chance. »
Another local said: “Everyone is very shocked. We all knew Paul and he always walked his dog.
“A neighbor told me he saw the bodies come out of his bedroom window and they were left uncovered for a few moments before being placed in the police tent.
“The man had burns on his face and legs and the woman’s body was totally destroyed. »
He lived this little dog and we always saw them hanging out.
The manager of the local convenience store described Paul as “a lovely guy” who was “always pleasant”.
“He was only in the store last weekend to buy his cigarettes while his dog waited outside,” they added.
“He had a girlfriend, I think she was new, a pretty girl with long blonde hair and I saw her around but didn’t know her. It is extremely sad. »
Paul – nicknamed TinTin – lived in the adjoining row of seven where a neighboring house caught fire a year ago.
A nearby resident said: ‘A house a few doors down was partly destroyed by fire, I think it was caused by an electrical fault, but thankfully no one was injured. »
Detective Sergeant James Hirst, Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Our thoughts are with families and friends at this difficult time.
“Their deaths are not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner. »
We wish to say thanks to the writer of this short article for this remarkable web content
Tributes to couple killed in house fire with their Jack Russell after ‘electrical fault’ saw flames shoot through house – Reuters News in France and abroad